𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗳𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗨𝘀𝗲 𝗧𝗵𝗲𝗺 𝗶𝗻 𝗦𝗨𝗥𝗚𝗘!
𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗮 𝗱𝗿𝗼𝗽 𝘀𝗲𝘁?
A drop set is a resistance training technique in which you focus on completing a set until failure — or the inability to do another repetition. Then, you lighten the load by 10–30%, and repeat, with little to no rest in between sets.
𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝗮𝗹?
The goal is to maximize muscle gain.
If you’re completing a bicep curl drop set, you’d follow this setup:
Set 1. Medium Weight Selection
Set 2. Drop weight by 10–30%,
Set 3. Drop weight again by 10–30%
𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗳𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗱𝗿𝗼𝗽 𝘀𝗲𝘁𝘀
- Muscle Hypertrophy (Muscle Size)
- Muscle Endurance
- Time Efficient
Drop sets promote muscle gain by fully fatiguing all muscle fibers in a specific muscle. When you train a set to failure, you’re fatiguing all of your smaller muscle fibers. By then dropping the load and immediately asking your body to perform another set, it’s forced to recruit your larger fast-twitch muscle fibers as well. This can promote more muscle growth than a conventional set could.
Muscular endurance is defined as your muscles’ ability to exert force over and over again over a longer period of time with higher reps.
𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗴𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗱
𝗿𝗼𝗽 𝘀𝗲𝘁𝘀 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗦𝘂𝗿𝗴𝗲 𝗰𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗲𝘀?
1. Prepare for the track by lining up your dumbbells within reach. This will minimize downtime and thus maximize time under tension, optimizing potential muscle gain.
2. Be strategic about when you incorporate drop sets into the class. Choose one track per class, or one time per week, to prevent overtraining.
3. Choose a track that has clear rounds or sets that you are familiar with.
4. Don’t worry if you need to switch out your weights mid round or mid track. That is the idea, to work to failure and then grab a lighter weight to finish.
Feel the Surge!!