What is V02 max?
VO2 max is the measurement of a persons aerobic capacity or the body’s ability to consume the maximum amount of oxygen during intense physical activity.
Why is VO2 Max Important?
V02 max is important because the more oxygen our bodies can consume the more physical work a person can do and the higher our performance. Small increases in VO2 max are associated with a 13-15% lower risk of all-cause mortality and cardiovascular events.
Steady state cardio training is widely thought of as the best way to improve aerobic capacity. But, more recently, other modes of exercise have demonstrated significant improvements in VO2 max, especially HIIT.
Surge Fit is a HIIT workout that includes high intensity bouts of exercise and short recovery periods. The high intensity bouts should be no lower than about 70% VO2 Max, or maximum oxygen consumption, and a perceived exertion of 8/10 or greater. This ensures you gain the cardio fitness and metabolic benefits of HIIT.
Why do Cardio?
· Increases Aerobic Capacity (VO2 max)
· Improves insulin sensitivity,
· Decreases blood pressure,
· Decreases the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity
· 13-15% lower risk of all-cause mortality and cardiovascular events.
· Improves mental health and self esteem
· Improves heart function
· Improves kinesthetic awareness, reaction time and coordination
· Decreases stress